Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Books

lemony snicket: witty, charming & in silohette
Lemony Snicket as I'm sure you know is the author of what he calls 13 "dismal" books about the Baudelaires, Horseradish; Bitter Truths You Can't Avoid, The Beatrice Letters and Lemony Snicket; The Unauthorised Autobiography.

What i love about Lemony Snicket is his sense of humour. The way he weaves in intrusting vocabulary, quotations and a kind of "obvious" humour makes him all the more addictive to read. I also love how he disguises himself by "Lemony Snicket" and pretends his representitive is "Daniel Handler" (himself :S sorry, didnt want to give it away but....) and talks about himself like he's on the run (back of his series of unfortunate events).

I recently finished his book "Horseradish". Its full of interesting thoughts and lines about stuff that we often think, but nobody says. On the blurb it says that these things are stuff he mentions a dinner parties and in his own head.

A Series of Unfortunate Events however is a wonderful story (or collection of stories) about the "woeful" -a word which here means utterly unfortunate and sad to read- lives of the Baudelaire orphans. It's given me lots of new words to my vocabulary and has been so entertaining and humorous that I've decided to read them again.

His unauthorised Autobigraphy was more of a story about the things he found while "recording and researching" the Baudelaires lives. Filled with pictures of himself as a youngin' and hilarious songs and records of a VFD meeting, I highly reccommend reading between books, if you know what I mean.
 What he says are utterly horrible and dismal books, are what I think highly entertaining and for anybody. The way he writes is spectacular! His books, I think, are for anybody to read, except those who have not yet grasped that concept at the current time. So, go embrace the dismalality (is that even a word Mr. Snicket??) of his works. Also, sorry about not writing about "The Beatrice Letters" I still have yet to find it in my local library.
Until next time, K. xx

No comments: